- Note that events such as sesshin and retreat typically begin with a 6 pm evening meal.
- Because our practice schedule begins early in the morning, please plan flights and rides such that you arrive at Sanshin before 8 pm. This gives you a chance to settle in and get enough sleep before morning practice and minimizes disturbance to others.
- If you cannot arrive by 8 pm, please plan to stay somewhere in town for that night and arrive at Sanshin the next day. Your consideration for the guest manager and other participants is appreciated.
- A day or two before your arrival, we'll email you some important information about how to get into the dorm and/or main building. Be sure to print this out, write it down, or otherwise have access to it when you arrive.
- If you're staying in the dorm (1708 S. Olive St.), let yourself in and find your sleeping room upstairs. Your name will be on the door of your room; you can choose a bed and begin to settle in. Label any food you've brought for meals outside of your retreat/sesshin and store it in the kitchen next to the meals area.
- If you're staying in the zendo (1726 S. Olive St.), let yourself in at the door with the grey pillars and stow your bedding and belongings out of the way under the clothes rack at the bottom of the stairs. Label any food you've brought for meals outside of your retreat/sesshin and store it in the kitchen next to the zendo.
- If you're camping, you can choose a spot on Sanshin grounds and set up your tent and gear. Be aware that there is a large streetlamp in the middle of the front yard that comes on sporadically and situate yourself so that you are not disturbed by the light. Please do not camp in the moss garden.
- Okumura Roshi's residence is NOT your first stop for help in managing your arrival. Check to see whether there is someone in the dorm or the office in the main building. You may also bring up accommodations questions during the orientation just before your event begins.
- If you wish, you may make your way to the zendo to choose a seat. Seats directly next to the altar or that have bells, robes or belongings on them are spoken for, and you may wish to leave something of yours to claim your seat as well. Please sit in the main part of the zendo and leave the alcove seats open for those who are dropping in for parts of the event. Extra cushions, benches and pads are available for your use.
- Check the event schedule posted in the entryway, the dorm, your room or outside the zendo to determine when you need to be in the zendo or meals area. Typically, there is a forms review in the zendo at 5 pm for whose who wish and an informal dinner in the meals area of the dorm or outside at the picnic tables at 6 pm. If you are not eating dinner, your first call time will be 7:30 in the zendo for orientation.
More to know
- You may wish to have a flashlight handy if you're arriving after sunset. It can be very dark on the Sanshin grounds and if you're the first to arrive the porch lights may not be on.
- You may park in front of the dorm for loading and unloading, but then please move your vehicle to Sanshin's parking lot.
- Directions and information about travel options to Sanshin are available here. Information about accommodations is available here.